- Accelerated Literacy gives you a routine for planning, teaching and learning and assessment
- It gives you tools to be explicit in teaching reading and writing in all subject areas
- It helps you teach literacy skills within a relevant, coherent, meaningful context, rather than teaching literacy skills in isolation
- Accelerated Literacy gives you the flexibility to cater for the high performers as well as the low achievers
- It helps you to be systematic and explicit in teaching spelling
- It is appropriate for all year levels
- You can use the Accelerated Literacy teaching routine to create the core of literacy instruction, but still have plenty of time for consolidation and application
- In a whole school setting, Accelerated Literacy gives you a common language for talking about literacy, and your school literacy improvement strategy
Accelerated Literacy is well-aligned with the Australian English Curriculum.
Reading to Learn is one of the world’s most powerful literacy programs. It is designed to enable all learners at all levels of education to read and write successfully, at levels appropriate to their age, grade and area of study. The Reading to Learn strategies have been independently evaluated to consistently accelerate the learning of all students at twice to more than four times expected rates, across all schools and classes, and among students from all backgrounds and ability ranges.
The program has been developed over ten years with teachers of primary, secondary and tertiary students across Australia and internationally, to integrate reading and writing with teaching the curriculum at all year levels. The strategies apply cuttting edge research in classroom learning, and language across the curriculum, in a form that is accessible, practical and meets the needs of teachers and students.
The Reading to Learn program can be accessed as a teacher professional learning program, or by ordering the teacher resource package and training DVDs directly.
This website sets out the principles of the Reading to Learn program, and the people and programs around the world. Reports and articles on the methodology can be downloaded for free, and the teacher resource package can be ordered online.